The Writer who discovered, pitched and sold the Erin Brockovich story to Hollywood.
Pamela DuMond

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pitching your Novel for TV and Movies

I met with an Entertainment Manager this week. He wants to pitch my novel The Messenger (Mortal Beloved, Book 1) for either a TV series or Movie Franchise. Color me happy! And now I'm delving into learning how to create a PITCH PACKAGE for TV and Movie folks.

Let me share a brief history of how this came about before I'm buried in this new writing process.

The Messenger is a passion project for me. I wanted to write an epic love story about two people who would go to the ends of the earth, even travel hundreds of years through time and risk everything to be together. 

But getting this book off the ground hasn't been the easiest. I researched the time period - 1675 during King Philip's War (the bloodiest war in American History) in which book one was set.

I wrote the book. (Hahhah, so easy! The words just flew onto the page! Not.)

Here's the rest of my process which might sound familiar to you: Beta Readers' Notes. I edited ms. Professional Editor's Notes. I edited ms. Queried Agents. Rejected. Entered ABNA. Passed 1 round, cut in second. Self-published. Picked wrong book cover. Re-did book cover. Most readers loved the book. A few haters. Did KDP giveaway - over 15,000 downloads. It hit: 

#1 Bestseller - Children's eBooks - People & Places - Girls and Women
#1 Bestseller - Children's Fiction - Literature - Love and Romance
#1 Bestseller - Children's eBooks - People & Places



Friends and readers believed in me and the book. Even better, a friend's teenage daughter read the book and LOVED IT. They started chatting with friends and acquaintances in the Entertainment Industry. And the daughter pitched The Messenger to the Entertainment Manager while they were playing tennis.  

And now he wants to shop it as a movie franchise and hand it to a TV Showrunner. So I am in new territory learning things like putting together a pitch package that has a short overview of the story, a longer synopsis, a page about me that includes info on the book, distinctions, background on my other books, including artwork, as well as a synopsis for Book #2 and Book #3. (We need 5 books to shop the Movie franchise.)

I'm swimming around in unfamiliar waters but I'm going to do learn how to do this, because every new world comes complete with its own learning curve. And remember, there are no guarantees this pitch will go anywhere, but I have to try.

If you want to read The Messenger (Mortal Beloved, Book One) to see the kind of book that would get the attention of a Hollywood Entertainment Manager for TV or Film Adaptation - well heck, it's only $2.99.

Psst - here's the link!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Messenger-Mortal-Beloved-ebook/dp/B007T07YU8

My advice? Dream big. Work hard. Persevere. And don't take no for an answer.

xo,

Pam DuMond





No comments:

Post a Comment